Recently, I preached at the Tompkinsville Church of Christ a series of lessons about doubt. The process led me to believe three specific lessons should be presented. They were entitled “Who Needs God?,” “Who Needs the Church?,” and “Who Needs the Bible?.” As I was thinking about the look of these sermons, I kept coming back to a person thinking. Several ideas came to mind, but in the end, a thought cloud (or something similar) won out. I looked through several online photo sites (i.e. Unsplash and Pexels), but I couldn’t find anything that seemed just right. After a thorough such on Vectorstock, I finally found a winner. Here is the unedited picture that was used as the baseline for this design.
While I liked the look of the person and even the lightbulb, I wasn’t sold on the background writing. I downloaded the image (it cost the equivalent of $1 through my Vectorstock credits) and brought it to my software (I use Keynote on my Mac to edit). Once that was done, I decided to soften the colors and remove everything from the background (including the light bulb) and slide the character to the right so that I could have more room to include a title text. That left me with this image.
When it came to the text, I knew the title would be “Skeptical” and the byline “Doubting our Doubts.” I wasn’t quite sure if block or script letters would work, so I tried two variations. I used the same brown of the character’s beard for the title and white for the byline so it would stick out. Unfortunately, I really didn’t love either of them. I liked the look of the script much more than the block, but it was difficult to read the byline and something wasn’t just working for me. I asked the question, what about a handwritten text? I believed it would be a good compromise between the two. I played around with several variations and settled on the font “Messy Smiling Cactus.” I added parenthesis on both sides of the byline and found a finished title slide I was totally in love with.
After the title slide, I went about working on the content slides. This is a vastly under-appreciated part of the presentation process. When you come up with imagery for a sermon, don’t forget that imagery after the first slide. I took the character from the image and moved him to the lower-right side of the slide and carried over just the title, not the byline to create the following slide.
Once that was done, settling on the content for each slide was relatively easy. I resisted the idea of using a block font for the lettering even though it may have been more legible. I kept the font from the byline, enlarged it and used white so it would pop off the dull green background. Due to legibility issues, I kept the content simple, avoided unnecessary statements and just went straight to the point.
In the end, I was very happy with the total package of this sermon series. It was not an easy design, but one that really left me satisfied. The imagery of the sermon matched perfectly with my thoughts.